Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hilltop Sunrise - 36" x 36" Work in Progress - Underpainting

A Larger Studio Painting

 
SOLD
"Up on the Hill", original oil on panel, 8" x 8" x 3/8"

I often find that some of my smaller paintings and studies inspire me to create larger studio
 paintings.  I like to think of these explorations as perhaps a 
short story - the small painting  - and a full length novel - the larger studio painting

The smaller study may be a simple, spare and elegant statement.  The larger studio painting is a richer, deeper exploration of the original theme, with nuances and resonances not possible in the smaller format.  
Each painting is a work of art on it's own, with it's own story to tell.

In the studio, with "Up on the Hill", the original small painting.

Many of these daily paintings I've been working on intrigue me, 
and could be the start of larger paintings, as this one is.

"Hilltop Sunrise" - first layers.  

I'll keep you posted as the painting progresses - can't wait to see the rest of the story!



No comments:

Post a Comment